4/25/08

Research thoughts

Ok when I started thinking about what to base my research paper on I remembered what we talked about in class one day about the contamination in other countries because of the United States. And then I also remembered that I saw a documentary on the Argentinean channel one day about the contamination of different provinces and neighborhoods in Argentina because of the mining done in those different places of the country. The mines are owned by American and Canadian companies and by which many kids and all the people in this communities have been getting sick.
At the same time in this documentary they show how not only the mines are getting communities sick but also the tremendous amount of waste in different places that are to be use for water supplies. However Argentina is not the only country being affected but also other countries like Chile, Guatemala and Peru are being affected by mining.
Now knowing all this I just want to let other people know that the United States is not only destroying their own country but also others. Therefore I think that the best way for me to do this is to use several articles and organizations that have been working to solve this problem. However I still have a lot of research to do so far I only have some research done in the problem in Argentina, Peru and Chile …..so this are a couple of the websites that I have found to get some information on the problem and what is being done to solve it.

3 comments:

Jocelyn Perez said...

*Sighs* Big,powerful countries seem to have no remorse when it comes to stomping the little guys to a pulp.I believe that there are even using arsenic to melt glaciers in order to do mining in Chile,therefore adding to the water contamination.

I swear I heard the professor make a reference to it lolz I don't know if you already stumbled across that in your research =)

This seems to be a great topic, so let me just get this straight: Your addressing the contamination of theses areas as a result of U.S. and Canadian mining and the efforts to correct it, right? Nice and straight to the point.

Anonymous said...

Hey Nancy,

Your topic of choice seems to be too broad for a 10-12 page research paper.

In my opinion, you might want to narrow it down to a particular mine in a particular location in Argentina. Doing so will allow you the ability to retrieve much more useful research information for your paper.

Good Luck

Doctor X said...

What i would do is focus on one mine/area if possible. See if you can get some sources from Spanish speaking newspapers/journals. I don't mind reading in Spanish.