3/7/08

Me and the Environment




Did you know that many of the simple things that we do every day without even thinking about it affect our environment? If you answer is NO let me tell you that mostly everything that we due in daily basis influence the crucial changes in our environment. For example in the morning I woke up, brush my teeth, let the water running for a while until it got warm and then took a shower, had coffee which I cannot live without, check the weather on TV, got dress according to the weather, took out the garbage (Wednesday garbage day) and started my beautiful one hour and a half of being pushed and stressed out on the train, went to the pharmacy got a book (but not of recycled paper), went to the bathroom and washed my hands (try to kill the germs collected on the train) and walk to the LIB 200 class.
I am sure that the things that I listed above are similar to the things that you do in the morning, well I hope that you don’t have to go through the same wonderful train ride everyday but if you do believe me I understand you. As you may see or may not see I did a couple of things in the morning that harm the environment. Do you know which ones? Well let me tell you, two minutes before I took a shower I let the water running. I am not sure the amount of water wasted in that two minutes but I know that is more than enough for somebody to drink. Even though I did something wrong by letting the water running I tried to correct my action by taking out the garbage which in my house means recycling. Although I did one good thing in the morning the rest of the day was full of things that affect our environment for example I wash my hands so many times a day that I don’t even bother counting and of course for this reason I use a lot but a lot but a lot of paper. Therefore in order for me to get the amount of paper that I need to dry my hands and also, of course let’s not forget, about the amount of paper needed to make my non-recycle notebook by which many but many trees need to be cut down. I know that many things that I do are wrong and harmful to the environment but since this concerns me I have try to do my best to buy paper towels that are made from recycle paper. I do this because I know the smallest things affect the environment and what worries me is how much harm is already done to it by all the people in the world? What do you think? I know I am doing my small contribution to help…..but are you doing something?????????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nancy,

I know exactly how you feel when you talk about abusing the use of paper and how it may affect our enviornment. Unfortunately my life cannot exist without paper towels. Everthing I clean involves using paper towels. Drying my hands after a quick wash involves using paper towels. The way I go through paper towels is really ridiculous. What I need to do in order to stop wasting so much paper is to have small kitchen cloth towels at hand when drying my hands and more sponges to clean up my messes. Hey, this might even keep some more money in my pocket for other things. HaHa

lisa said...

Hey Nancy,

I can relate to washing your hands a numerous amout of times a day because I fall victim to that also. I am concerned about the waste of paper and the waste of water too. Both actions are carelessly consuming the resources of the world. It's hard living in the United states were we are used to not having to worry about these things because we have always had them to our exposal but in third world countries they don't. Did you ever see that commercail on t.v that speaks about the fact some school girls in one of these third world nations have to miss school for weeks around their menstral cycle because they do not have access to the proper protection. Well that would be equivalent to paper towels, they do not even have that. We should be more concerned with how things effect nature and also how it effects other people who lack the proper resources while we waste them.

Ligia said...

Hi!,
It seems that we almost did the same things the day we start class. Just like you I waste a lot of water because I leave it open around 20 minutes when I am taking a shower. It seems that we need to pay more attention to the things we do that are harming our environment, even when they are little. I think this class will shows us how to be more responsable about think the consequences of our actions.